Sunday, July 10, 2016

There is MAGIC in these books.



Just finished book 4!
Who doesn’t love Harry Potter? Well, maybe people with religious objections or a fear of brooms, but almost everyone I know grew up on these books. I’ve heard moms talk about how Harry helped their struggling readers. Students' eyes light up when I mention Harry in class. 3,000 years ago I took a group abroad just as the fifth book was released. Twelve students and one teacher dragged the hardback edition all over Europe. Harry Potter taught us all lessons about love, friendship and being yourself, no matter what.

I can’t put my finger on the magic power of this story. My daughter and I have read other books, and while they are interesting, they do not have the same pull. Is it that the content feels “grown-up” and slightly forbidden to young readers? Is it the universe that is almost like ours, but with a secret twist? Is it the themes of undying love and friendship that get you every time?





Whatever it is, it has turned my daughter into a passionate reader. Moreover, reading these books to her is by far my favorite parenting moment. I am not a natural born parent. Patient and calm is not my default state and even after 8 years I am not used to little people all up in my business. I cannot even pretend to be interested in cat videos or sit and play for even 20 minutes. But reading Harry Potter has created a magical connection with my daughter. No matter how many times I have totally lost it (and it’s summer, so that’s about 10 times a day!) when we snuggle up to read at night I am the best mom ever.


About to watch Prisoner of Azkaban


When we finish a book, we put the little one to bed and sneak down to the basement to watch the movie. Maybe that is the magic….My daughter knows this is something special we share together. She knows that the subject matter is grown-up and she knows that I love sharing it with her. Add to Harry’s list of accomplishments the fact that he has made me a better parent.

In the words of Dumbledore- It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.














No comments:

Post a Comment